Tuesday 2 February 2016

Good morning!




Good bye little (very) little hostel room with the great coffee and free food... 

Today's blog comes courtesy of Straeto buses free wifi. I am travelling right up to the top of the island today. There for the 9am bus - at 8.15... Ready for the 5 hour journey. I have fruit pastilles, crisps and a marathon, sorry, snickers. No water in case I need the loo - but you don't need to hear that. 


I also realised why there is a newspaper on every seat. Not to read, but to keep ones bum warm. 


Here is our driver, having a fag with his mates. And here is someone paying. 


It doesn't get much more exciting than this...


We did go through a 6km tunnel under a fjord. 

This is "Iceland First Seen" by William Morris. 


Ah! what came we forth for to see that our hearts are so hot with desire? 
Is it enough for our rest, the sight of this desolate strand, 
And the mountain-waste voiceless as death but for winds that may sleep not nor tire? 
Why do we long to wend forth through the length and breadth of a land, 
Dreadful with grinding of ice, and record of scarce hidden fire,
But that there 'mid the grey grassy dales sore scarred by the ruining streams 
Lives the tale of the Northland of old and the undying glory of dreams? 

I'm just using my phone so apologies for the bad quality but the light and the scenery is amazing. I'm like a little kid with my head swivelling backwards and forwards non stop. We have just driven over a bridge across a fjord. I can't quite understand why everyone isn't shouting WOW!!!!!! All the time. They'd prefer to be knitting....


Ah well. 

This is just so brilliant!! I can't post much because it's so bumpy and they don't provide sick bags....

There are mountains all the way. The sun is just up and visible after a tremendous 2 hour journey from the horizon. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Again sorry for the quality. The windows are a bit dirty. Should've brought my glass cleaner....

As we move away from civilisation, the A road is a sheet of ice but the driver is still happily going at 90kph. I suppose he's done it before.... People seem unaware of the sheer danger, and continue their knitting. 

They do the above whilst I am sitting here a bit scared - the only person on the bus with my seatbelt on, telling myself it'll all be ok... Oh and it's so windy today in skagastrond that the children will crawl home from school. Not sure if this is an urban (countryside) myth. Will let you know later!



I may sign off soon as my phone is dying and there's no wifi at the house when I get there. You'll have to watch this space to see if:

- I Arrived safely
- I Actually have somewhere to live and it wasn't a big joke
- I got blown over
- I managed to see anything else that was wonderful in the journey or tonight.....

Last image for now. 


First vehicle we've seen for an hour!

Love,

Aly x
















5 comments:

  1. Are we there yet? And have you started knitting my Icelandic jumper? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess at least the snow and ice filled in all the potholes in the road! If you do knit, ask someone to show you the Icelandic way - it is much quicker. A lady in the Isafjordur YH showed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We travelled all the way round in a Nissan Micra - Magnus Micrasson! I'm sure we went on roads we shouldn't have been on, up to the base of Hekla for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, no I haven't and let's face it, I never will. I do love you though. x
    Debs, thanks for following. I wouldn't drive on the roads here in Winter. It's treacherous, studs or no studs. I saw 2 accidents just in the main street of Reykjavik. And as the comment to Steve - I can't knit. I can crochet but knitting is beyond my skill set!
    Caroline - Thank you! It's amazing so far and very cold. Although being a woman of a certain age seems to be helping a bit! x

    ReplyDelete