Friday 5 February 2016

And the storm goes on...

Sorry for the abrupt ending to yesterday's blog. It was exciting stuff to be told that a terrible storm was coming and we should stay indoors for at least 24 hrs.

It's now 9.49am, Friday. The storm started properly around 6pm yesterday with winds which you couldn't stand up in. It gradually got worse and has basically been going strong all night with little signs of abating. 


This was the tiny drift yesterday before the storm started. This morning, we can't see out of any windows in the house and it's very claustrophobic. This is my bedroom window, about 5 minutes ago. 


So imagine every single window to the outside world looks like that, the front door is barricaded by 2 wheelie bins and 2 chairs as the door kept flinging open, the wind is howling and there is a strange dull yellow light everywhere. That's my current world. 

Here is the supplies cupboard:


For 4 people. 

The dining room window:


And the lounge:


What to do....? I did try to photograph the storm last night, but visibility was so bad that this is all I got:


I may well use this in something though. 

I did have some time to think about what I really want to achieve while I'm here. I suppose the first thing I've learned is that it's not a good idea to have too definite a plan in mind - particularly when going into another setting which is so different. I had a vision of massive waterfalls, northern lights shining and lighting my way wherever I went and photogenic beauty at every turn. In fact, the storm has shown me that even if all of that was 200 yards away, I couldn't access it right now. 

Skagastrond is a working town/village. There are only about 450 residents. I have only seen about 5 local people actually walking around in the time I've been here. It's very much a 'car' society. It has to be as the weather is so unpredictable. 

What I really want to achieve, and two people really helped with this (probably without knowing), is to use my time here to explore the memories it holds for the people who feel they belong to the place. I am trying to get to spend time with the people who are residents at the elderly people's home. I'm hoping to be able to have some dialogue with them and even access some of their personal artefacts. 

From there, I will see what seems to work, but thank you Linda and Caroline for prompting that method of working and remembering how much it inspired me - even when I'd misplaced that memory. 

Having made the place sound like an industrial hub with little traditional beauty, I suppose I should put that right. It is a stunning setting and I try not to leave the house (ha ha if only..) without kit. Namely a tripod, shutter release, camera and 2 lenses. Considering the ground is around 4 inches of sheet ice covered by snow, the fear of falling is great and I accept that I will save the camera before I save myself, hence the massive bruise on my knee... Yesterday's trip out of town - pre storm, and 30 yards out of town, did reap some rewards for you crowdfunders:






Slight breakthrough. Some ice just fell off the window and gave a momentary view of the outside world. These from my camera back:




What these don't convey is the noise. It's so blinking loud. Someone should harness all of the different wind sounds and make music! If this tiny piece of video from my phone works, it will give you my total view of the outside world, through this small chink in the houses armour...it didn't work!! I'm sorry. Might try to put it into Facebook.

Ok then, I'll sign this off for now and maybe come back later. I'm very aware that the power is a bit iffy, so I think I'll snuggle down and listen to the fantastic Icelandic band Libby told me about. 'Of Monsters and Men' thanks libs. 

Love,

Aly x




















2 comments:

  1. Looks like Staveley on a good day...I think you have been tricked -there are no people in the village. Just 12 artists trying to find the Northern Lights! Great pictures!!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staveley is lovely Steve - don't you diss it!!! Having said that.... There really are no people. There's lots of folklore in Iceland, perhaps it's that I just can't see them because they're magical pixies...

    ReplyDelete