Tuesday 23 February 2016

Happy Tuesday. A day of beautiful sunrises and sunsets - and wishes for Aurora later


Well the countdown has truly begun. One week before I am back in Blighty. 4 more nights in Skagastrond, 2 in Vik and 1 in Keflavik ready to get on the plane home.

I have just been bustled into a strangers car and taken to a beautiful beach where the sunset was hitting the wet sand and the crests of the waves were catching the final rays before it becomes dark again. Thank you so much for the lift!!

Yesterdays light was not what I'd hoped for and I spent all night getting up at 2 hour intervals as it looked as though there might be aurora. There wasn't. No show and I have been so tired all day today. There is an ongoing dilemma for anyone wanting to make photographs because there are 2 key factors in play. 1. Is the sky clear or mostly clear? 2. Is there an aurora forecast, and if so, how strong is the forecast on a scale of 1 to 9. I have had some really good photographs at '2' but found it difficult to get anything registering at '3'. So tonight's dilemma is that I have a potential lift to a non light polluted area at midnight when the sky is clear, but the forecast is 2. Whereas tomorrow night, the forecast is 3 and the sky is partially clear... Oh decisions decisions. Perhaps I could have a little nap!



With sunsets like this, it's amazing how they are often disregarded in place of the aurora....

So what have I been up to? 


This was one of my aurora chasing walks last night. The sky was interesting because the moon was full. 


Unfortunately, the reflection is from my phone photographing my computer screen, not some fabulous element in the sky. 


The sunrise this morning was so clear so I went walking, laden down with so much photography gear. By the time I got to my planned destination the light had muddied and I trudged all the way back. 

However, after a day of walking, editing and gathering information on the local historical soothsayer (more about that later..) the sunset was sublime. This was the 'light' on my walk back from trying to follow the sun....



And this was the end of the day. 


So the other part of today was a visit for myself, Louise and Penny to the Spákonuhof Museum of Prophecies. Fascinating stuff and all linked to a strong, brave and assertive woman calleÞórdís (pronounced Thordiss) from the late 10th century, who basically ruled the place and gave out advice, drugs, laying on of hands and essentially sorted out the fighting issues of the menfolk. There is a legend related to the finding of a casket of gold and jewels at the top of the Spakonufell mountain, just on the outskirts of the village. The only trouble is that there are conditions..... It can only be found by a woman, who has nothing to do with the church (i.e. not called Christine, not baptised or confirmed and not related to anyone from the church) and finally, a woman who has only ever consumed horse milk.... So, it's pretty safe up there then!!

I haven't processed the images yet and it was very dark inside the museum, but I will put them up tomorrow. 


It was minus 5 degrees today and my cashmere jumper cut up and made into a snood is absolutely the best thing I could have brought on the trip. That and the funny rubber and metal crampon things. One of the things I'm so looking forward to is hair products... Shallow I know, but I can't wait to slap on that mess it up gel...

I have quite a bit to do tonight, I'm still in the studio and I am likely to go out looking for aurora later so I promise that tomorrow's blog will be mostly photographs from the last few days and less inane ramblings!!



Good night and sleep well. I look forward to next Tuesday but hope for many adventures and great pictures here in Iceland between now and then. 

Love,

Aly X



 















1 comment:

  1. Can't the soothsayer tell you how good the aurora is going to be? Make the most of your week. Today was a warm +3 degrees xxx

    ReplyDelete