Friday 26 February 2016

Ending experience...

What can I say? I have 3 more days in Iceland but leaving Skagastrond is such a significant wrench. In the midst of bingo at Borgin the best, and only bar in Skagastrond, Penny and I made the final walk home to Manabraut along the seafront, past the servo and the supermarket, the ice piled high from the snowplough, the sad house, a little vandalised because of the acts of its previous tenant, the harbour and the small businesses lining the end of the village, back to our little house - over the snow steps Penny dug out in a moment of ferocious exercise and into the warmth (always warm) of the outer porch, inner porch and main rooms. 

It's hard to explain how I'm feeling right now. It's a real mixture of excitement to see my gorgeous loved ones, anticipation for the coming 3 days of adventure and a real sense of loss for those burgeoning friendships formed from the mix of isolation and shared passion. 

I would love to come back here, to continue what I've started, although to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what that is. I do know that it came at a time that was right, for lots of reasons. I am so thankful for Steve being the person he is - shooing me into whatever new adventure captures my heart. I have been here for a month, safe in the knowledge that my family are safe and understand (put up with..) my need to experience new challenges. 

Iceland is a honeypot for tourists but still they tend to come in the summer months. The concept of the midnight sun is a massive draw and although I can see this in some ways, I have gained so much from being here with such limited light. Making the most of every ounce, walking for miles, seeing the stars - unpolluted by artificial light or industrial influence is totally magical. Add to that the Aurora Borialis and there's no competition. 

From an artistic perspective, there is the opportunity to completely immerse yourself in your practice surrounded by likeminded people - good people who will support and suggest and constructively criticise if you want them to. The environment is so positive, almost a rite of passage, particularly to emerging artists. 

As you can probably tell by this, I am melancholic about leaving and feeling very reflective. I need to sleep,ready for the further adventures of the next 3 days with Louise, Arthur, penny and yujin. I'll try to post but can't guarantee it as I'm not sure about wifi. 

I may have posted some of these already - apologies but in blogging from my phone and that's my best excuse!!


Shaye and Andy's amazing light piece in a quarried area of the village. The quarried stone was used to build a harbour, but once it was built, the elves were so angry that the herring left...


Last walk back to Manabraut


My favourite bridge. I was about to walk over the ice when someone appeared and told me it was a river and it was deep and dangerous...


Last nights show. Best yet. 


Moon over Skagastrond. 


The view from my exhibition space today....


The sublime beauty of the sea


Ditto!!


Best seat in the house. 


Move over Mam Tor, this is Spakonufell. 


Can I just say that getting images like these means walking for half a mile in the pitch black, standing outside for hours in minus 6 degrees waiting and wondering if anything might happen. Then freezing all body parts while waiting on numerous 30 seconds plus exposures, just for you. 

Have a great weekend!! 

Can't believe it's nearly over,

Love,

Aly x









2 comments:

  1. Reading these have been wonderful Aly thank you I've not had so much vicarious pleasure in a long time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Looking forward to Ed's bit Whitby Weekend! xxx

      Delete