Thursday 18 February 2016

What day is it???

I can't believe that I only have just over a week left here in Skagastrond. I suppose I need to get my act together and start to think about getting back to some kind of normality!

Normality at the moment consists of going to bed at around 3am after either staying late at the studio or messing around editing photos or catching up with The Archers (yes, I have managed to keep up to date.... can't wait for Rob to get his comeuppance...). The days are slowly getting longer and there's a marked increase in daylight since I arrived 2 and a half weeks ago. The sky is becoming light at around 9am but the sun takes ages to come up properly, allowing anyone with a camera to catch the most perfect light for a good couple of hours. It's dark by 5pm and the sun is down before then, although, again, that lingering golden hour is definitely more than that in reality. There is never a time that the place is not stimulating in some way. Even when it's stormy, there is a sense of the power of nature and just how insignificant we all are!




It truly is a magical place. Incidentally, my friend Sue made a comment about the new BBC series 'Trapped' and whether Iceland was really like that. Well the short answer is, YES! When the snow comes and then adds strong wind to the mix, you can hardly stand up. The only thing that seemed wrong with the programme was that no-one goes anywhere without a hat and gloves... plus, that policeman would certainly have known that the school would close! The series was shot over on the Eastern side of the Island and there is just one road in and out. That's a bit scary as they would regularly get stuck in the winter. Everything is weather dependent and although the road clearing systems are fantastic, if there's a bad storm, everything stops.

The place it's filmed is called seydisfjordur. 


It's on the far right of the Iceland map, about 6 hours from skagastrond. 


So yesterday was spent recuperating after my fall, which has knocked my back about a little bit. My knees are a mess and my whole body feel like i've done a massive hike, followed by zumba, followed by being walked on by a big person in DM's. I've protected myself from falling today by going to the studio with my socks over the top of my boots (read it somewhere...) and then the crampon things. I look ridiculous, particularly as the socks are black with a purple toe, but hey, they're covered in snow for the walk, so no-one cares. No-one cares anyway!


I've been pulling together lots of the images I've made and editing them all day. I've also planned a final trip for the last 3 days of my time here. Hopefully, weather permitting, we'll be going to the Ice lagoon and beach at Jokulsarlon http://www.jokulsarlon.net/black-sand-beach-in-jokulsarlon/ 

This is one of the places I actually knew about before I came to Iceland, so, I would love to see it and take some images. The plan is to take a scenic drive down the west coast, beyond Reykjavik to Vik. This will take around 5 and a half hours. Then the next couple of days can be spent playing with icebergs!!

The day I fell over, luckily reaped some good images, so I've been working my way through them all day. I have to keep getting up and moving around as I'm stiffening up all the time. Properly knocked my self and my confidence a bit. I've trodden so carefully today - with my sock/boots!!

Here are a few sample images for your perusal! If anyone wants to ask any 'Iceland' questions or get me to show particular images in here, there's only a week or so left. (Cries into strong Icelandic coffee...)






It's interesting, I was always a bit unconvinced about going to santorini in Greece because of the black beaches. I couldn't imaging how it could be beautiful. Having spent these weeks in Iceland surrounded by black beaches, I am now desperate to go there. 


I'm sitting in the main studio with Arthur, Louise's 7 year old. Everyone else is listening to the amazing Joe give a talk on Psychoacoustic and optical illusions. I should be there, but I can't sit for very long because of my stupid fall. I am having the surreal experience of listening to tonight's Archers (poor cows...), watching the baftas on my computer screen and writing this blog on my phone - all at the same time, whilst in the background Joe's talk seems to be saying baa baa baa over and over again... (Back to the Archers then). 


Empty studio bar (baa) (ha ha ha, laughing at myself) me and Arthur. 

Sorry, slightly diverted by Stephen Fry's hilarious smut. 

I think I'll sign off until tomorrow. Sleep well. 

Love,

Aly x













No comments:

Post a Comment