Tuesday 16 February 2016

Happy Tuesday

Weather update. We're probably going to have to snuggle up on sofas in the studio as the wind gets stronger and there's a gale warning. Overnight there's been a transformation in Skagastrond. The snow has disappeared from many of the rocks and fields, exposing a landscape previously unseen. 


This was on my very blustery walk to the studio today. I almost got blown over - despite my excessive weight (camera bag as well as myself...)

The grass is a rich brown colour and very springy (is that a word?) to walk on. Where there's still ice however, the roads and paths are treacherous. This is not the first time I've wished for a pair of ice skates to skate home on. Much safer than trying to walk. 


I wish I could give an impression of the wind. It's just so strong. You have to plan each step as it seems to catch you as you lift your leg for the next step. No wonder there's never any people out.... Also, virtually all of my fellow artists have had offers of lifts from villagers. All except me! I probably look like too much trouble with all my bags and tripod. 



For the next couple of days I will show a little of some of the other artists and their work. 

Penny is a painter from Australia. I share a house with her and we've got to each other a bit. Her work is gorgeous. At the moment she's working on heavy papers with house paints at a large(ish) scale. Not figurative, her work is quite formal exploring the materials and their reaction to each other. She's used snow and ice to work the paints which are layered up until they no longer have any absorbent properties. I have agreed to use some of her images (small parts photographed and changed to monochrome) in my layered montage works and she has photographed some of my aurora images to use in hers. Her work is concerned with the cosmos, so being here is a perfect setting. Penny has worked in arts education for a number of years and has taught higher education theory and practice as well as directing numerous projects, both as director and as an artist. Her public art works are sited in libraries, hospitals and other public premises. I love her use of colour. 



The images below are sections of penny's work which I will use in my layered work. 




The weather has calmed down a tiny bit since I started this, so maybe I will get to sleep in a bed tonight... This is the current view out of the studio door. 


Doesn't look bad at all does it... It is - promise!!

Louise just went outside to photograph some birds. This is her return...nearly blown away. 



In a couple of hours I am giving a photography tutorial for the gang. The idea is that everyone will be able to get better images, particularly of the aurora, although the light changes so much, even when they're happening, that it's really difficult to gauge exposures. Ah well, we'll talk about principles and take it from there. 

I've just been going through the many images I've taken so far and I love this one. Can't remember whether I shared it, but the colours were amazing. 


Sorry for the dodgy quality as it's taken with my phone from the computer screen. This was near Myvatn, the smelly pots and bubbling mud. 

I've just managed to sort out some of the arrangements for coming home (which is less than a fortnight away now) and I've booked a car so that I can see Jokulsarlon ice lagoon and beach. Way hay!!

I'm signing off now, as I need to start putting some layers together....

Happy Tuesday, especially to those enjoying a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc without me....

Love,

Aly x













No comments:

Post a Comment